Assistant Art Director
Oregon State University
Department: College of Engineering (ENG)
Appointment Type: Professional Faculty
Job Location: Corvallis
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: $51,072-$86,904
The College of Engineering is seeking an Assistant Art Director. This is a full-time (1.00 FTE), 12-month, professional faculty position.
This position is responsible for enhancing and building the online brand image of the College of Engineering through digital and print communications. Primarily, this position provides strategic visual brand direction for the college's digital landscape and leads the development of digital creative concepts to help move the college's peer engineering schools and many stakeholders - alumni, donors, industry partners, state and federal government entities, and prospective high-achieving and underrepresented students - toward stronger relationships (i.e., opinion, perception, and affinity) with the college and thereby increasing brand visibility, reputation, and loyalty. The incumbent assists the Art Director (AD) and Senior Director of Marketing (SDM) on overall college brand strategy, specializes in digital visual communications, and is responsible for ensuring that all digital assets produced in the college support the overall strategy and visual identity of the college and the institution.
The College of Engineering is committed to maintaining and enhancing its diverse and collaborative community that strives for equity and inclusivity. All faculty and staff members are responsible for helping to ensure that these goals are achieved and should be able to demonstrate contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Such contributions can be part of service and/or professional development.
Working for Oregon State University is so much more than a job!
Oregon State University is a dynamic community of dreamers, doers, problem-solvers and change-makers. We dont wait for challenges to present themselves - we seek them out and take them on. We welcome students, faculty and staff from every background and perspective into a community where everyone feels seen and heard. We have deep-rooted mindfulness for the natural world and all who depend on it, and together, we apply knowledge, tools and skills to build a better future for all.
Top 1.4% university in the world
More research funding than all public universities in Oregon combined
1 of 3 land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the U.S.
2 campuses, 11 colleges, 12 experiment stations, and Extension programs in all 36 counties
7 cultural resource centers that offer education, celebration and belonging for everyone
100+ undergraduate degree programs, 80+ graduate degrees plus hundreds of minor options and certificates
35k+ students including more than 2.3k international students and 10k students of color
217k+ alumni worldwide
For more interesting facts about OSU visit: https://oregonstate.edu/about
Oregon State has a statewide presence with campuses in Corvallis and Bend, the OSU Portland Center and the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the Pacific Coast in Newport.
Oregon States beautiful, historic and state-of-the-art main campus is located in one of Americas best college towns. Corvallis is located close to the Pacific Ocean, the Cascade mountains and Oregon wine country. Nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley, this beautiful city offers miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, a river perfect for boating or kayaking and an eclectic downtown featuring local cuisine, popular events and performances.
Total Rewards Package:
Oregon State University offers a comprehensive benefits package with benefits eligible positions that is designed to meet the needs of employees and their families including:
Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life. OSU pays 95% of premiums for you and your eligible dependents.
Free confidential mental health and emotional support services, and counseling resources.
Retirement savings paid by the university.
A generous paid leave package, including holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Tuition reduction benefits for you or your qualifying dependents at OSU or the additional six Oregon Public Universities.
Robust Work Life programs including Dual Career assistance resources, flexible work arrangements, a Family Resource Center, Affinity Groups and an Employee Assistance Program.
Future and current OSU employees can use the Benefits Calculator to learn more about the full value of the benefits provided at OSU.
40% Digital Design Direction
- Provide overall creative leadership and digital design strategy for the college through the translation of the brands guidelines for digital platforms.
- Assess the colleges online brand identity and develop strategic and creative digital concepts and materials to advance the colleges strategic goals.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate short-and-long-term goals, objectives, and projects of digital visual marketing and communications in the college.
- Partner with Senior Director of Marketing (SDM), Assistant Director of Marketing (ADM), Digital Communications Specialist (DCS), and Web Development Manager (WDM) to guide digital design needs and provide digital design assets to projects initiated by the marketing and communications team in the production of digital projects.
- Develop wireframes and collaborate with the SDM and WDM in the development of the UX.
- Advance the UX/UI on the colleges web development. Oversee the design of the user flow on key college landing pages, oversee digital design for the mobile experience, and provide sketches to the WDM.
- Advise the SDM and WDM on front-end digital design
- Provide design assets for the colleges social media channels
- Provide Oregon State brand guidance and leadership to COE communicators and designers, student clubs, and internal units, ensuring consistency throughout all digital communication materials.
35% - Design and Production for Print and Digital Communications
- Responsible for design, production, and output for all digital communications, and design and production of print communications as needed.
- Conceptualize and design a wide variety of online and print publications including websites, emails, social media, video, motion graphics, brochures, advertisements, and more.
- Work collaboratively with internal and university partners to manage the production of projects, develop new ideas, and ensure high-quality outcomes.
- As needed, prepare print materials specifications for vendors, obtaining bids; purchasing, and maintaining contact with producers to ensure adherence to timelines and specifications.
- Following the current college visual identity and adhering to the universitys brand guidelines, and the colleges sub-brand guide, create graphic images including illustrations, information graphics, and icons.
- Maintain the colleges online portfolio and digital style guide.
15% Lead Work
- Provide digital design best practices and leadership to colleges external relations team and additional stakeholder units within the college, including monitoring quality; providing feedback; answering questions.
- Guide student workers with digital motion graphics for social media and support student workers learning by teaching graphic design best practices and digital marketing strategies
- Coordinate and manage the work of vendors to successfully complete projects.
- Assist with the hiring and monitoring of freelance photographers, illustrators, and print and web designers, as needed. As needed, drive a personal vehicle to photo/video shoots.
10% Technical Support and Professional Development
- Manage and archive project files and other digital assets.
- Create and maintain database of digital design assets, files and templates for faculty, staff, and students.
- Develop skills and competencies related to work priorities and tasks through onsite or offsite training, conferences, etc.
What You Will Need
- Bachelors degree in Marketing, Graphic Design, Web Development or a related field AND six years of experience in graphic design and/or website design.
- Four years of experience in UI/UX design, using UX design and UI tools such as Sketch.
- Online portfolio that demonstrates high-quality digital design work.
- Strong working knowledge of content management systems like Drupal and Wordpress.
- Experience in video and motion graphic design using Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
- Advanced experience in Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite, and Microsoft office.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interpret technical ideas for a non-technical audience.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
This position requires driving a university vehicle or a personal vehicle on behalf of the university; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a motor vehicle history check, possess and maintain a current, valid drivers license in their state of residence, be determined to be position qualified and self-report convictions as per University Policy 05-030.
What We Would Like You to Have
- Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements.
- Experience instructing and training in graphic design, online marketing, or front-end development.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
This position may be based in Corvallis or in Portland, OR. Hybrid and/or remote work may be possible, as agreed upon by the employee and supervisor. Regardless of primary work location, some travel to the Corvallis campus and/or Portland to participate in meetings will be expected.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 26, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A Resume
2) A Cover Letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
3) A Portfolio: Please upload your portfolio or a link to your portfolio as a separate document. (Upload as Portfolio)
4) A Diversity Statement: After reviewing the OSU mission statement at http://leadership.oregonstate.edu/trustees/oregon-state-university-mission-statement and the emphasis on diversity, please state how your background and experience has prepared you to be effective in an environment that values diversity . (Upload as Diversity Statement)
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact:Janet Knudson
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
This position requires driving a university vehicle or a personal vehicle on behalf of the university; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a motor vehicle history check, possess and maintain a current, valid drivers license in their state of residence, be determined to be position qualified and self-report convictions as per University Policy 05-030 et seq. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the motor vehicle check requirement.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/145747
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency