Cuesta College Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery Coordinator
Salary: $37,392.00 - $41,232.00 Annually
Job Number: FY2021-00087
Location: Cuesta College - San Luis Obispo Campus, CA
Department: Fine & Performing Arts
Closing: 6/29/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
This position is a 12 month and 75% FTE.
HAROLD J. MIOSSI ART GALLERY
The Harold J. Miossi Gallery exhibits contemporary art in support of the Fine Arts division at Cuesta College and provides visibility within the greater San Luis Obispo community. A $1.2 million endowment providing $50,000 per year supports high quality exhibitions of new and challenging work from national and international artists. The gallery program supports the Fine Arts Division curriculum by providing opportunities for students to engage with a diverse range of visiting artists; public art, performance art, and contemporary practices in gallery management and exhibition installation while fostering cross-disciplinary and community partners. We work to present our program in an inclusive environment where visitors can experience the work in an explorative and supportive community.
Fine Arts is an academic division focusing on the skills and knowledge for studio practice and the study of art. Art History, the study of visual art from prehistory to the present, places emphasis on the visual language, historical context, cultural values, and technological changes in art and architecture. Professional practices emphasize the curatorial, business, and installation aspects of exhibiting art. Studio courses include drawing, painting, photography, graphic design, printmaking, sculpture, and ceramics. An emphasis on portfolio presentation, exhibition preparedness, and a progression of intermediate courses prepares students for vocational opportunities and successful junior level transfer to universities, colleges, and art academies.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. Committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals, we are proud to be designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education. Cuesta College is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity that reflects our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share the value of commitment to diversity and inclusion. As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified staff, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Under direction of the Dean of Academic Affairs: Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences in collaboration with the Division Chair of Fine Arts, to provide for gallery exhibitions and lectures, and perform other related duties as required.
This position is responsible for implementing the art gallery exhibition program, including organizing, and when appropriate curating and installing exhibitions for the Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery (approximately six shows per year by nationally and/or internationally recognized contemporary artists, as well as the Annual Juried Student Exhibition).
Incumbents in this position support student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness by implementing the exhibition program for the Cuesta College Art Gallery.
Essential Functions & Qualifications
Consultation is essential in terms of the following gallery functions:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery;
- Conceive and implement installations and events at other sites, including the North County Campus;
- Plan the exhibition schedule with attention to contemporary, diverse artists and a variety of media;
- Recruit artists for exhibition, establishing contact, contract, timelines and insurance coverage;
- Coordinate, curate and install exhibitions;
- Coordinate with the Cuesta College Foundation to promote philanthropic contributions to the district/program;
- Establish and maintain long-term planning and program outcomes;
- Establish and maintain communication with the administration and other college departments and agencies, including grant proposals, gallery publications, gallery events and fiscal responsibilities;
- Create and promote educational opportunities for Cuesta students and county public school students as well as community members;
- Oversee student workers;
- Work collaboratively with support positions to coordinate and execute CPAC and Harold J. Miossi Gallery events;
- Work with and involve the Art Gallery (Art 295) class and instructor in gallery processes;
- Act as a liaison between the Fine Arts division, the district, the Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery, the community and exhibiting artists;
- Participate in community and educational outreach and development;
- Post and maintain regular office hours (to be determined by consultation with the Division Chair of Fine Arts);
- Attend monthly division meetings and participate in other on and off campus meetings related to gallery functions;
- Coordinate activities with the Museum Practices class (Art 202);
- Recommend and oversee gallery budget;
- Coordinate writing and/or facilitating grant proposals with appropriate personnel in the District Grants Office;
- Facilitate implementation and reporting of funded grants;
- Responsible for safety, cleanliness and proper utilization of gallery space;
- Develop signage, artists' statements and related materials for each exhibition;
- Oversee design and/or printing of flyers and other outreach materials for each exhibition and lecture;
- Schedule artist visits so that artists can meet with students and community members;
- Arrange for jurors, prizes, catalogues, and entry details of annual Student Art Exhibition;
- Arrange for photographing and videotaping of each exhibition, wherever practical;
- Utilize social media for gallery outreach and promotion;
- Assist visitors and telephone callers; respond to questions; provide information as required; refer to appropriate sources;
- Approach assignments professionally, collegially and creatively utilizing diplomacy, tact, friendliness and poise;
- Resolve conflicts within scope of authority, exercising sensitivity to aesthetic concerns related to exhibiting artist in gallery situations, and
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's of Fine Arts or Master's Degree in Art History, Museum Studies, Art Education, Studio Art or related field.
- Two years in art gallery development, coordination, or management, including fundraising, grant writing, and budget oversight.
- Art gallery programming, including lectures and exhibits;
- Current technologies, personal computer, and associated office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and/or database software;
- Correct usage of English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary; and
- District policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties; and
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
- Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors;
- Communicate intelligibly and effectively via speech, telephone, written correspondence, and/or email;
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Lift and/or carry 25 pounds; and
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation.
- Valid driver's license and eligible to obtain California driver's license upon hire.
This position is a 12 month and 75% FTE.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
Candidates will be required to submit all of the required attachments listed below when applying for this position. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
- Cover letter;
- Reference List (see further requirements/instructions listed below);
- Unofficial transcripts;
- Diversity statement (see further requirements/instructions listed below);
- Portfolio (see further requirements/instructions listed below).
Cuesta College is committed to building and maintaining a workforce that reflects and honors the diversity of our students. It is important to us that our faculty, staff, and administrators demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds as well as sexual orientation and abilities of all constituents in the Cuesta College community.
Portfolio Instructions: Candidates will be required to attach a PDF of 20 images of exhibitions you have curated and/or installed.
Reference List Instructions: Candidates must include three professional references, their contact information, and their relationship to you.
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Below is the full salary schedule range for this position, steps A through E. Per our bargaining agreement, we can only place new employees at Steps A through C, which is the anticipated hiring range also listed below. For a full salary schedule, please see our website: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/salary_schedules.html
- Salary Schedule Range: $3,116 - $3,788 per month.
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,116 - $3,436 per month.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/publicsafety/clery_act
Cuesta College uses E-Verify as part of the I-9 process to verify the work eligibility of all new hires. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9 to data from U.S Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records. For further information, visit: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/Job_Opportunities.html
Interview Process Information
Applicants will be required attend an interview and give a presentation that expands on their role in curated and/or installed exhibitions on Monday, July 26 or Tuesday, July 27, 2021.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency