Nursing Instructor/Director - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN) Program 2018
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://jobs.miracosta.edu
Discipline or Department: Nursing
Position Type: Full-time Faculty
Hourly Rate or Monthly Salary:
Working Hours: WORKLOAD AND OTHER EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION: This position is a 10-month, 176 day contract. The anticipated assignment includes a minimum of 30% as director of MiraCosta's LVN Program and 70% as teaching faculty in the nursing programs. The standard work week is forty (40) hours, which will include director/teaching duties, curriculum development, preparation, student evaluation, and institutional service. The person selected for this position will be assigned a Faculty Service Area (FSA) in LVN Nursing and will be subject to assignment to any district or authorized facility during any hours of operation, including additional duties during the summer. Adherence to all District policies and procedures is expected.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Apply and submit application materials online at https://jobs.miracosta.edu. Once you are in the online application system, we strongly advise you to read the information on "How to Apply" and the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) before starting the application process.
Submit the following documents directly in the online system and finish applying and receive a confirmation number by 11:59 PM on the closing date:
1. Application for Academic Employment.
2. A cover letter addressed to the "Screening and Interview Committee" specifically describing how you meet the desirable qualifications and the representative duties.
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae summarizing your educational background and nursing experience.
4. A photocopy of your current California Registered Nurse license. Attach this to the "Certificate/License 1" link.
5. Transcripts of your bachelor's or higher degree and of all coursework needed to qualify for this position; unofficial or legible copies are acceptable but must indicate that the degree(s) has been conferred, if applicable. A diploma will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts.
If your qualifying degree is in progress but will be conferred BEFORE the position begins in August 2018, then you must also include a written statement from your adviser indicating the anticipated degree CONFERRAL date.
The degree and/or coursework used to satisfy the minimum qualifications must be from a postsecondary institution accredited by an accreditation agency recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation. If your degree/coursework is from a college or university anywhere outside of the United States, you must submit a detailed evaluation from a professional evaluation agency. A partial list of agencies can be found at http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf. Transcripts or translations in English still require the evaluation to show the U.S. equivalence of your degree.
6. If you have a master's degree in nursing, attach those transcripts.
-- MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We strive to be a model for equity and inclusion, effectively supporting students from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds who possess a range of abilities, academic preparation, and life experiences. Please describe what qualifications and/or experiences have prepared you to contribute to the fulfillment of the College's goals for equity and inclusion.
-- To be eligible for this position, you must currently possess a valid California registered nurse license. Do you have a current California RN license? (yes or no)
-- Have you provided direct patient care as a registered nurse within the last five years? (yes or no)
-- Do you have previous teaching experience in a nursing program? If yes, list the name of the employer(s) and dates of employment (month/year). IMPORTANT: The position(s) you reference must be listed on the application form in the Employment History section.
-- Do you have any experience with nursing simulations? (yes or no)
Individuals with qualified disabilities who need accommodation with any aspect of the application and/or interview process should contact Human Resources at 760.795.6854 at least five days prior to the closing date.
The screening and interview committee will review application materials two to five weeks following the closing date. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone; those not selected will be notified by e-mail. For interviewees, the selection process will include a panel interview, as well as possible teaching demonstration and written exercise. Interview candidates coming from out of state or over 300 miles away will be reimbursed for travel expenses up to $500 for both initial and final interviews.
OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT:
An offer of employment to the person selected for this position is contingent upon 1) successful completion of a pre-placement physical exam at district expense, 2) submission of a current tuberculosis clearance certificate, 3) proof of eligibility to work in the United States, 4) fingerprint clearance, and 5) approval by the Board of Trustees.
Basic Function and Other Details:
MiraCosta College invites applications for a full-time (10 months per year), tenure-track faculty nursing position with both instructional and program director responsibilities, beginning in August 2018, and reporting directly to the Associate Dean of Nursing and Allied Health. The department is seeking a registered nurse who has experience teaching nursing to students or to new graduate nurses. Approximately 70% of this position will be to provide instruction and develop curriculum and teaching methodologies that ensure student learning, and possibly teach in clinical settings. Clinical instruction is provided at a variety of hospital, clinic, and long term care settings. The individual selected may also be assigned to instruct in other nursing programs within the department and/or teach prerequisite courses. A minimum of 30% of this position will be to serve as the director of MiraCosta's LVN program, with supervisory and administrative responsibilities for the LVN program and personnel, including maintaining compliance with the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) regulations. Director responsibilities will require working additional hours in the summer.
PROGRAM AND DEPARTMENT INFORMATION:
Students enrolled in the LVN Program must successfully complete the prerequisites for the program prior to acceptance into the LVN program. The department has 11 full-time faculty and 25 associate (part-time) faculty who are committed to ensuring our students are successful in the program and are able to provide safe, quality care to our patients. To view the nursing website, go to http://www.miracosta.edu/instruction/nursing/index.html. To view the LVN program website, go to http://www.miracosta.edu/instruction/nursing/lvnprogram.html
MiraCosta students are diverse in age and represent all of California's major racial/ethnic groups. The credit student population in 2017 is approximately 37% Latinx, 8% Asian/Pacific Islander, 3% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 7% multiracial. Diversity is also evidenced by student-veterans, re-entry students, students with disabilities, international students, and LGBTQIA+. The college was designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in 2013 and is also a military-friendly organization. This designation reflects the great responsibility that MiraCosta has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a campus that exhibits its dedication to its students and faculty through offering robust, culturally responsive events, including speaker series dedicated to heritage month events through the Social Justice and Equity Center.
MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing an educational environment that affirms and supports diversity in its faculty, staff, and administration, and promoting an environment of inclusion. The college's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is expressed in the policy found at http://www.miracosta.edu/officeofthepresident/board/downloads/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion-Adopted4-6-16.pdf.
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Serve as the director of MiraCosta College's LVN Program, as approved by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT). (E)
2. Provide theory and clinical instruction in the LVN program. (E)
3. Design, implement, and evaluate key aspects of the LVN program, including maintaining state regulations and licensing compliance. (E)
4. Maintain currency and clinical competence in the subject area(s) taught. (E)
5. Obtain clinical sites for LVN students including approval from the BVNPT. (E)
6. Ensure all associate (part time) and full time faculty who teach in the LVN program have been approved by the BVNPT.
7. Work in collaboration with other full-time and associate faculty in coordinating and maintaining currency of and culturally-responsive curriculum. (E)
8. Assist in the creation, review, development and evaluation of courses both online and on-ground, certificates, and programs in collaboration with other instructors as appropriate. (E)
9. Participate in departmental and faculty functions such as LVN and curriculum meetings, service on hiring committees, volunteering at career campus events and community outreach, and performance of associate faculty evaluations. (E)
10. Use technology in the academic environment to enhance student learning. (E)
11. Communicate department information to students in a timely manner.
12. Evaluate student performance in the classroom and clinical settings and maintain student records as required. (E)
13. Collaborate closely with discipline faculty to ensure integrity of the program and consistency between academic course content and department policies, practices, and procedures. (E)
14. Participate in college-wide committee work and collegial governance.
15. Serve as a liaison between the clinical agencies and department of nursing.
16. Serve as a role model for the clinical instructors, preceptors, and instructional assistants.
17. Participate in the development, assessment and evaluation of student learning outcomes (SLOs). (E)
18. Participate in the tenure review process as described in the "Criteria for Evaluation" at http://www.miracosta.edu/administrative/hr/downloads/CriteriaForEvaluation.pdf.
Type of Benefits:
SALARY AND BENEFITS: For current salary schedule and salary class descriptions, go to http://www.miracosta.edu/administrative/hr/downloads/SalaryScheduleAndSalaryClassDescrip2017-18.pdf. Additional compensation will be paid for working summer hours. MiraCosta College offers a comprehensive package of benefits, which includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee and dependents; $100,000 employee life insurance; and other optional coverages. Faculty members are also covered under the California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS).
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
1. a bachelor's degree or higher (the transcripts you are attaching must show that the degree was awarded); AND
2. possess a current California active license as a Registered Nurse; AND
3. have a minimum of three years' experience as a registered nurse; one year shall be in teaching or clinical supervision, or a combination thereof, in a state approved registered nursing or vocational or practical nursing, or psychiatric technician school within the last five years; or a minimum of three years' experience in nursing administration or nursing education within the last five years; AND
4. have completed a course or courses offered by an approved school with instruction in administration, teaching, and curriculum development; AND
5. sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
The department seeks candidates who meet the following additional qualifications: 1. A master's degree in nursing. 2. Three years or more of experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse within the last five years. 3. Teaching experience within the last five years in an accredited/approved nursing program or in teaching new graduates in hospital or ambulatory settings. 4. Experience in developing and supporting simulation learning activities. 5. Commitment to examine, reflect, and modify instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support disproportionately impacted student populations with a goal of closing equity gaps (see Student Equity website at http://www.miracosta.edu/studentservices/studentequity/index.html). 6. Ability to contribute to the mission of the college.
Licenses and Other Requirements: Must currently possess a California active license as a Registered Nurse.
Closing Date: 2/27/2018
First Screening Date:
Human Resources Contact Information:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.795.6854
About MiraCosta College
The MiraCosta Community College District is one of California's 114 public community colleges. The district includes the communities of Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Cardiff, Olivenhain, Leucadia, Solana Beach, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, and parts of Camp Pendleton.
MiraCosta offers undergraduate degrees, university-transfer courses, career-and-technical education, certificate programs, basic-skills education, and lifelong-learning opportunities, as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Biomanufacturing.
The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. The Oceanside Campus, serving approximately 10,500 students, is located on a panoramic 121-acre hilltop site with views of the ocean and mountains. The San Elijo Campus is located in Cardiff, 17 miles south of Oceanside, and attracts more than 3,000 students. The Community Learning Center in downtown Oceanside hosts about 2,500 students in the college's noncredit programs including English as a Second Language, the Adult High School Diploma Program, and other tuition-free, noncredit classes. The Technology Career Institute (TCI) in Carlsbad is part of the colleges Career Education Department. It offers our local community members the opportunity to enhance their lives and their careers with low-cost, hassle-free classes, workshops, and programs, as well as certificate programs to train skilled workers in industries such as high-tech manufacturing, maritime technology, and emerging technologies. The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) located at the TCI provides resources, workshops, and leadership programs for small businesses and serves all of North San Diego and Imperial Counties. The Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC), also located at the TCI, provides entrepreneurial development services such as business training, counseling, and mentoring, as well as referrals for eligible veterans and military spouses owning or considering starting a small business enterprise in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Imperial Counties.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency