School Director-College of Art & Design
College of Art and Design
CAD School of Design
Faculty Type (Tenure Status): Tenured
Faculty Discipline: 3D Digital Graphics, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, New Media Design
Faculty Rank: Professor
Employment Category: Fulltime
Anticipated Start Date: 01-Jul-2023
Detailed Job Description
The College of Art and Design at the Rochester Institute of Technology seeks a visionary leader for the position of Director of the School of Design (SOD). The ideal candidate will be responsible for leading a diverse and accomplished faculty in the operation of the School's highly regarded BFA, MFA and MS degree programs; mentoring and evaluating faculty and staff; and creating a supportive and stimulating environment for all students.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated passion for curriculum development and organizational management, and to work collaboratively to build on the School's outstanding legacies to ensure a bright future. The School Director should be critically engaged in design's future in leading areas such as health, sustainability, diversity in design, AI and machine learning, UI/UX, and XR. And be prepared to leverage RIT's unique, comprehensive school of technology with our highly regarded college of arts, crafts and design.
This position appointment is for four years (12 months per year) and may be renewed. This is a tenured position that reports to the Dean of the College of Art and Design with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2023.
Some responsibilities include:
- Leading short- and long-term strategic planning for the School in conjunction with undergraduate and graduate program directors, staff, and College leadership. Including the development of non-traditional learning and engagement modalities.
- Spearheading School fundraising, development, outreach, recruitment, and marketing efforts.
- Ensuring robust and collaborative relationships with the leadership of the College and its other schools; with faculty, staff, and students of SOD; with the Vignelli Center of Design Studies, and other RIT entities.
- Budgetary - managing the School's annual operating budget, and initiating and proposing capital equipment and space improvement requests.
- Focus on student success metrics and outcomes, and enriching faculty scholarship and creative opportunities and productivity.
THE DEPARTMENT: The internationally-recognized School of Design offers five undergraduate programs and three graduate programs. The undergraduate programs include 3D Digital Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and New Media Design. The graduate programs include Visual Communication Design, Industrial Design, and Integrative Design. All programs are supported by the Vignelli Center for Design Studies. SOD provides a creative community where students have the opportunity to discover their unique talents and expressive potential, while at the same time developing the skills needed to fulfill any creative or technical role in the expansive fields of design. SOD has an enrollment of more than 750 undergraduate and 90 graduate students. The renowned alumni and faculty have been recognized as National Design Award recipients, design leaders at some of the most respected company brand in the world, and thought-leaders in the field of design and bettering the human condition. To learn more, visit https://www.rit.edu/artdesign/school-design.
THE COLLEGE: RIT's College of Art and Design is an acclaimed institution and the university's creative hub where art, design, science, and technology intersect. The Colleges five schools and multiple associated institutes and research centers offer programs and exploration into the Arts, Design, Crafts, Film and Animation, Technology, Photography and Photographic Sciences, and emergent arts and design forms. The range of innovative programs offers students a panoramic perspective from creating fine art using centuries-old methods to pushing the boundaries of digital creativity. The College of Art and Design has more than 2,000 students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs. Our alumni and faculty are making important contributions to the world and have been recognized with some of the most prestigious honors including Pulitzer Prizes, Guggenheim Fellowships, National Design Awards, Tony, Emmy and Awards, the MacDowell Medal, as well as visible leaders in creative disciplines world-wide. https://rit.edu/artdesign.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- MFA, PhD or in exceptional circumstances, demonstrated outstanding scholarly and professional experience (academic, industry, etc.) in design fields directly related to School programs and commensurate with leadership position may be considered;
- 3 years of administrative leadership experience (academic, industry, etc.) in related School fields;
- 3 years of college teaching experience at the graduate or undergraduate level in related School fields;
- Demonstrated record of promoting and developing opportunities for collaboration in related School fields;
- Demonstrated knowledge of technologies and emerging trends in related School fields;
- Demonstrated leadership skills in administrative areas such as planning; budgeting; student, faculty and staff recruiting; faculty and staff assessment; and the professional development of faculty and staff;
- Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the colleges continuing commitment to justice, equity, cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
Required Minimum Education Level
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References, Portfolio of Students' Work, Portfolio of Work, Statement of Diversity Contribution, Statement of Teaching Philosophy
How To Apply
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty and search openings for the College of Art and Design. Please submit your application, curriculum vitae, cover letter addressing the listed qualifications, and upload the following attachments:
- One page leadership philosophy
- One page scholarship philosophy
- One page teaching philosophy, as applicable
- PDF or a link to a website presenting examples of your professional work
- PDF or a link to a website presenting examples of your students work, as applicable
- List of courses taught with their descriptions, as applicable
- Names, phone numbers, and email contact information for five references
- Contribution to Diversity Statement
The direct link to this posting can be found here: https://sjobs.brassring.com/
RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion. For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-79dc929bd70a41438a14984d68efdcf4